In my week 4 class of CIU111, I learned the importance of having a social media as your professional identity and how it is important for your future career. I always thought that social media was just only a way of reaching out to your friends. That was until my class gave me a whole new perspective of having social media as part of my career and a way of representing myself to the world.
(“Animation GIF – Find & Share on GIPHY”, n.d.)
I learned in my class that having a social media can help me promote myself and my works online. Having to post my works will allow people to identify who I am and give valuable feedbacks that will help me become a better content creator. Of course, it is important to share other people’s work as a way of promoting and respecting others in social media. As a result, I am creating an engagement and a community to my viewers. As Amy Jo Martin, New York Times bestselling author, would say, “Social media is the ultimate equalizer. It gives a voice and a platform to anyone willing to engage” (“Amy Jo Martin Quotes”, n.d.).
My class taught me that I should respond to social media the way I am and the position I am comfortable in; in fact, I should be outgoing. I shouldn’t act too professional online, but be honest of who I am at most situations. As one would say, “Honesty is a reflection of your own thoughts and feelings. If you want people to know who you really are, be honest in your self-expression” (“10 Benefits of Being Honest”, 2013).
Having a social media presence will help me get in touch with workers from media industries. Connecting with a professional will help me be prepared for my future career; in fact, Dawn Rosenberg McKay said that, “you must gather information about the occupations you are considering. One of the best ways to learn about an occupation is to conduct an informational interview with someone who is currently working in it” (McKay, 2016). This way, by conversating with a professional, I can be able to receive tips and insights of working in the media industry.
· 10 Benefits of Being Honest. (2013). Elemental Wellness. Retrieved 11 April 2017, from https://elementalwellnesscoaching.wordpress.com/2013/06/14/10-benefits-of-being-honest/
· Amy Jo Martin Quotes. BrainyQuote. Retrieved 6 April 2017, from https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/amyjomarti529774.html
· Animation GIF – Find & Share on GIPHY. GIPHY. Retrieved 11 April 2017, from https://media.giphy.com/media/grNDsG4bMJRsI/giphy.gif
· Az616578.vo.msecnd.net. The Odyssey Online. Retrieved 11 April 2017, from https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2016/10/21/636126885270404845-1661554698_honest.gif.gif
· ClipartFest. Img.clipartfest.com. Retrieved 11 April 2017, from https://img.clipartfest.com/5649ea1e8e826a6b40ac04cb109266ad_-communication-oshas-18001-communication-clipart-animation_500-350.gif
· McKay, D. (2016). Why Is Having a Professional Network So Important?. The Balance. Retrieved 6 April 2017, from https://www.thebalance.com/building-growing-and-maintaining-a-professional-network-525834